Sunday, December 27, 2015

Tea Tree Balm


If you do a quick google search you are bound to find numerous lip balm tutorials. Each recipe is basically the same with small things altered to suit the specific persons needs. The recipe I used is no exception. I adapted it to fit my needs. 

This was my first balm to make and I am in love with it! It leaves the lips feeling soft and gives them a nice shine. I was afraid the Tea Tree oil would be too strong but really it's not. At least, it doesn't bother me or my family. So please, dear ladies, let me share with you how I made my first balm. 

Tea Tree Balm

You will need:
Balm containers (approximately 8)
Double boiler (or a make do one which I'll explain in a minute)
5 tablespoons of Coconut oil
2 tablespoons of Beeswax
1 tablespoon of Honey
5 drops of Essential oil of your choice (change the name of the balm to suit your oils)

What you will do:
Melt your coconut oil and beeswax in your double boiler. If you do not have one you could simply fill a pot halfway with water and place a heatproof container (I used a pyrex measuring cup which was super convient due to the pour spout) in your pot. Place the coconut oil and beeswax in your pyrex cup or container of choice and melt together over medium heat. Once your beeswax and coconut oil is melted together remove it from heat and carefully take your container out of the pot. It will be hot of course so I emphasize CAREFULLY. Let it cool just a bit and then add your honey and oils. You want to allow it to cool just a little bit so you don't kill the good stuff in the honey nor cause the oils to evaporate. Stir, stir, stir. Some of your honey will not mix in no matter how much you try. Just dispose of that at the end. As soon as you have stirred it, start pouring it into your balm containers. Allow it to harden, mine took about an hour or so, test it on your lips, cap it, and enjoy from now on. These should keep for a year in a nice dark place. If it gets hot it will melt. 


You have to try this! Your lips will love you!!! 




10 comments:

  1. Your lip balm looks wonderful! I make my own as well, and it works so well and I know what is in it. :)
    I'll stash your recipe in with mine.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Knowing the ingredients, is not that one of the greatest things about making our own products :)

      Delete
  2. I think your lip balm recipe sounds wonderful. I never made things like this but they are all the rage. My daughter in law's friend made them at the same time they were making soap. I love homemade things and hand crafted things. It is very meaningful! So glad you shared!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Bernideen. You have to give it a try! You'll be addicted to making it after the first time. Have a lovely week!

      Delete
  3. great skill to have! I love the thought of making my own lip balm. Thanks for the tute!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You are so welcome! You'll have to try it and of course customize it to your preference! Have a great week! :)

      Delete
  4. Thanks for teaching about the lip balm. Have a blessed New Year's. Hugs, Martha

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Martha and you are welcome! Have a wonderful week! :)

      Delete
  5. Wow! What a great idea! Happy New Year!

    ReplyDelete