Thursday, February 25, 2016

Frozen Pinto Beans


Frozen pinto beans! Such a timesaver! When I open my freezer and see these delightful ziploc bags I can't help but smile. 
Whenever beans are needed for a meal I simply grab a bag in the morning, lay it in the sink or on a plate set off to the side, and allow it to thaw until time to cook. If for some reason I forget to thaw it out ahead of time I just pop it in a sink full of hot water. 
Let me tell you the simple steps to having your own freezer full of a "convient meal." 

Soak your beans overnight, rinse in the morning, add clean water, cook until the beans are done. Do not season them. You'll do that at a later date when you reheat them. Once beans are cooked take them off the heat and allow to cool. After they are cooled start placing them in a storage container of your choice. Slap a label on with date, contents (I skipped this step since my freezer meals are low right now. I know exactly what these are and will have them ate up before I add more freezer meals), and the amount you froze. For our family I do 3 cups per bag. Sometimes I'll need to grab a second bag but usually one bag does just fine. Freeze in proportions that suit your family. Tada! An easy convient food just waiting on you to reheat and eat. These will last 6 months in a freezer. Hope you ladies enjoy!!!! 

4 comments:

  1. Ooh what a good idea! I'll have to try this :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh yes you must! It makes preparing meals that much easier. :)

      Delete
  2. This is the only way to go with beans! Make large batches and freeze! :) Forgive my email delay... Methinks I am a very poor pen-pal!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It really is! As for the latter part of your comment, nonsense! I understand life has its busy seasons :)

      Delete