Saturday, August 6, 2016

Types of Cloth Diapers and Diaper Covers

In this blog post I'll kill two birds with one stone. I'm going to combine Part 2 & 3 of my Cloth Diaper Series into one post. Part 2 will cover types of cloth diapers and Part 3 will cover diaper covers. I'll share what I personally use at the end.

PART 2: TYPES OF CLOTH DIAPERS 

I'll cover five types of diapers including the two types I use. Before I share my personal diaper choice with you we'll play a little game.  The game is for you to guess my prefrence before reading it. Sound like fun? Ok, let's get started. 

 (Photo credit: Osocozy website)

Prefolds are the old fashioned style. They're flat and rectangular in shape. In the middle is a lit bit of extra material to help with absorbency. You have to fold the prefolds to fit your baby. Prefolds are not waterproof so you have to buy a cover to go over them. They require  Snappis or diaper pins to secure them. They're a good choice for those on a budget as they are extremely economical. You have to buy different sizes as baby grows- size small through large. 

(Photo credit: Osocozy website)  

Flats are more old fashioned than prefolds. They're the real old school diapers. We all know there's no school like old school. Flats are made of a thin material. They're rectangular in shape. A flat isn't waterproof so a cover is needed. Diaper pins or Snappis are needed to secure the diaper. Flats are by far the most economical choice. They grow with baby. You can use the same set from birth all the way to potty training. They have a fast drying time. 

(Photo credit:Osocozy website)

Fitted diapers are similiar to prefolds. The difference is that, unlike prefolds, they do not require pins or Snappis to secure. They usually come with snaps or velcro. Fitted diapers are not waterproof. A diaper cover is needed. Some brands of fitted diapers are one size meaning they have snaps you can adjust so the diaper can be used from birth until potty training. Other brands will require you to buy different sizes as baby grows. 

(Photo credit: Amazon product page)

A Pocket Diaper is made up of a waterproof cover and has a stay dry polyester lining. It has a pocket, usually in the back though it can be at the front, that allows you to "stuff" absorbant layers such as prefolds into the diaper. You have to un-stuff this pocket before washing. They come in all kinds of cute prints. 

5-AIO  (All In One) Diapers
(Photo credit: Amazon product page)

These diapers consist of an absorbency layer sewn into a waterproof cover. These are wear once and wash kind of diapers. They come in all kinds of cute prints. 

Have you guessed the two types I use? Wait until the end to see if you're right. 
-------------------

PART 3- DIAPER COVERS

In this part I'll discuss three types of diaper covers. I'll have a review on different brands posted soon. 

(Photo credit: Amazon product page) 

These are the plastic pants that make you cringe. They're basically waterproof (ish), plastic underwear. They're cheap so definitely economical but remember you get what you pay for. Handwash and line dry. 

(Photo credit: Amazon product page)


These are waterproof covers made from PUL. You can find some in one size and others you have to buy in sizes as baby grows. Wash in the machine and line dry. 

(Photo credit: Nickie's Diapers website) 

Wool is naturally antibacterial. When lanolized it's water repellent. It will repel the water (or you know, human stuff) away from it which in return keeps the cover dry. However, your diaper will be soaked. Wool covers don't need to be washed after every use. If poo gets on the cover gently spot clean that area with a mild soap such as castile, baby soap, or a wool wash soap bar. Until your covers start to stink, need lanlkized, or get poo on them you dont have to wash. A good rule of thumb is to wash and lanolize every 3-5 months. Again, wool is naturally antibacterial. It's as natural as you can get in the diaper world. Isn't it amazing how God designs things?! These must be  handwashed and line dried.

Now as promised I'll share my personal diaper inventory with you. I use size small prefolds on newborns with a one size PUL cover. As baby starts growing I use flats and continue the prefolds until they outgrow those. If I have a heavy wetter I use a flat with a prefold insert. At night time I can usually get away with a flat that has a prefold insert as long as the child isn't a heavy wetter. With a heavy wetter I simply add a second prefold. I secure all my diapers with pins. I tried snappis but found that it wasn't long before they were too tight on baby.  Pins really aren't difficult and I have yet to have one open while a child was wearing it. Flats are economical and versatile so I stock up on those. I was gifted size small prefolds. I haven't bought any others. With my system I really don't need any more prefolds. Like I said I use PUL one size covers. I do have one wool cover that I LOVE!!! I'm slowly making my way to replacing all PUL covers with wool. 

So how did you do? Did you guess the right diapers? 

*Note I have linked to diapers and covers that I have personally used with the exception of the fitted diaper and the pocket diaper. 

To see all post in my Cloth Diaper Series go here

No comments:

Post a Comment